Sunday, June 29, 2008

July 2008

I'm really sorry for the lack of updates. I never taught Amy how to update the blog. Also, as she has taken lots of cool digital pictures, she does not know how to send them to me so that I can add them to the blog. So we have a bit of a disconnect at the moment.
I've been in China on a work assignment with Johnson Controls since December 2007. I have taken a few photos while in China which I thought I would include.
Fat Aaron at 103 kilos (227 lbs) Photo taken Jan. 7, 2008
Leaner Aaron at 80 kilos (176 lbs) Photo taken May 1, 2008
I thought while I was here I would take advantage of the time to exercise and skip dinner. It is a good formula that I don't seem to be able to follow when I'm around all my friends and family.
This was the view in January from the balcony of my 8 floor apartment in Shanghai. I took a few photos and stitched them together to get the full affect. Believe it or not my area was more quiet and rural compared with downtown Shanghai. I believe there are 20-30 million people living in Shanghai and the surrounding area. Lots of bicycle, scooters, people walking, etc.
Typical public toilet. We call them the "Squatty Potty." This is at the plant. It is a bit nicer as it has a paper dispenser. Usually it is bring your own paper. I have only had to use one once, and it was at this time I realized that free paper was a luxury. Good thing for soap at the wash sink. (sometimes there is no soap either)
A little dinner party with my work team for one of my co-workers that was leaving the company. These are fantastic, hard working people. They are also very gracious and generous which is true with most of the people I have met. They love Americans (more than anywhere in the world that I have seen) and I try very hard to be an example of a good/decent American.
Daily grind in the Plant cafeteria. Lunch cost 2RMB (27 cents) and was rice with veggies, and fish. I love the fish, as I do not get enough sea food in the US. This was also helping with my weight loss. At first the chopsticks were a bit difficult for me, and for the first couple of days my had would cramp up during the meal. Now I'm a pro, and am starting to think that I actually prefer them over forks and spoons.
Another dinner with my co-workers. There were 14 people sitting around the table, with about 4 servers catering to our every whim. The food is lavish and placed in courses on the round glass lazy susan. Plates are small as food is usually eaten right from the dishes they are served in. In other words, everybodies slobbery chopsticks go in and out of the food until it is gone. Talk about double dippin'! I guess when in Rome!
After the meal I was surprised to learn that the cost was about 700RMB ($100 dollars) for all the food, beer, service etc, for our group.
Singing at a Karaoke bar. This was a duet with Zhao Jun (Phillip). I surprised my co-workers with my ability to sing. For the rest of the night, I had to sing all the "English" songs. It was also a suprise to them that I can play Ping Pong really well. I guess these things are not typical of the foreigners.
Typical office scene. I have since reloacted from Shanghai where I was helping with the Honda assembly line to Changchun China where I am now working on the new VW Jetta start-up. It was a 2-1/2 hour flight to the North. The city is about 8 million and more industrial. Apparently it is snowy and cold here in the Winter time. So it is like I just relocated from Houston to Chicago. I am only 1 hour flight from Beijing which is slight South but mostly West of Changchun. I will be here for 3 months minimum.
I will take more photos in China and do another post, but will also be visiting my family in July and will download all the photos from Amy's camera at that time, whereby I can give you a family update. I will also teach Amy and Ashley how to work with the digital pictures and play around on the blog.

5 comments:

Judd & Jenny said...

Looks like China has been good for weight loss. I think here in America we should change our largest meal to lunch and make the evening meal light, As they do in other countries. It would go a long way in helping the obesity in this country. It would appear that between you and Bret I am out of the "Parker weight loss 08 challenge", at least for the beginning of 08. Good going.

-Judd

Ray said...

Looks like chinese food agrees with you. Which set of bugs do you like best?

Unknown said...

You're naked, put some clothes on.

Anonymous said...

No way- you look great! Mike and I should go on the excercise and no dinner plan! We both need it!

Judd Parker said...

We should all try to follow the example of other countries and eat big at lunch have and a small dinner.

Looking good man. Keep it up.